My mates from Chile

Friday 26 November 2010

The Painful Days of Revision

I'm currently on the slow trudge towards my last exam of this semester... Let me tell you: it's not fun.
To lighten the load a bit, and to reward my survival of yesterday's exam, Anna and I joined Alejandro for a night on the tiles. That is to say, we didn't actually go clubbing or anything (the dude's 67, and although he may be well up for it, I don't think we would have been able to keep up!)- we actually had a rendez-vous for ice cream. 


The ice cream parlour is quite a phenomenon in Chile, and Bravissimo is THE place to go if you want a proper sundae (and yes, it does tickle me that it has the same name as a British lingerie shop). We pored over the menu amidst Alejandro's adamant claims to the waitress that it was my birthday (he was angling for an extra scoop), and finally settled on what looked like the most modest option: three ginormous hunking scoops in a glass sundae dish the size of a small yacht. I opted for avellana (hazelnut), menta chips (mint choc chip) and some kind of maracuyá cocktail (passion fruit), which turned out to be rather scrummy. I, nevertheless, in true Jasmine style, couldn't finish it. What a wet blanket.


What drove me on in the eating stakes was the promise of the best Italian restaurant I had ever been to. I pointed out that I had been to Rome. Alejandro didn't care. In my ongoing quest to find the best fettucine in the world, I agreed to continue on to dinner in the aforementioned restaurant, despite my stomach's best interests. Let me just make this clear: I have never EVER seen such a big plate of pasta. EVER. Just  the sight of it was offputting, and even the reams of certificate's declaring the chef's participation in the 'Best Pizza in the World' competition (I stress, participation, not any kind of medal or trophy) could not persuade me to eat more than a few bites. Suddenly the families filing out with doggie bags galore made sense: this meal was going to last me for a few days. Having said that, I ate it for lunch and dinner today and it's all gone...


After that amount of carbohydrates, Anna and I were all too ready to topple into bed, and I was very glad to remember that my next exam wasn't until next Tuesday; some respite, at least.


La Entusiasta
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment