My mates from Chile

Friday 17 December 2010

It's been a while

I've been AWOL for a while, which, apart from this very lazy week, suggests how much we've been up to down here in South America! After exams, Anna and I had to say goodbye to Alejandro, our upstairs neighbour who has been like a grandfather to us for the past 5 or so months. Our escapade to the most generous Italian restaurant in the world was indicative of the size of the Mango Sours that he made us for the final farewell. To say it was a pint of cocktail would be no exaggeration. 


As soon as Anna could escape from the 9-5, we sped off to meet Cris in Sao Paolo. On the plane, I was stuck between a rather... ahem, large fellow and a young guy who prompted Anna's admiration. She told me loudly how lucky I was, only to discover that he spoke immaculate English! My rosy cheeks lasted all the way to Brazil. 


Sao Paulo is one of the most cosmopolitan cities I've ever been to, especially for Latin America, which was such a lovely surprise after Santiago's dull attractions. We attended a family party and attempted to become fluent in Portuguese with the help of Cris and her friend Karen, who had come to visit us previously in Chile. The number one event? Feijoada of course! It is as dodgy as it sounds:



I was expecting rice and beans. The accompanying pork parts were slightly less welcome. We had tongue, crackling and all kinds of innards. Hmmmmmm...
We soon headed to the coast between Sao Paolo and Rio to enjoy Cris's beach house. And then I realised why it's called the rainforest. The downpour was torrential, and it just never ended! Nevertheless, we bbq'd and birdwatched to our heart's content. It turns out that Anna is afraid of spiders. 



But that was ok. There was plenty of other wildlife :)




The beach was paradise after the storm, and I got so burnt that my face peeled off...


We ate calamari and fried shrimp fresh from the Atlantic, then breezed along the winding jungle roads to the airport. Next stop: Buenos Aires. 


I have actually visited BsAs before, but didn't get the chance to see the best bits, such as the antiques market in San Telmo or the little cafes in Palermo. This time around, I immersed myself in the possibilities of a vintage fur coat or an antique Chanel handbag, stopping only for Italian-influenced cuisine.




And then the sickness hit. I felt so nauseous and weak, I had to go to bed for almost the entirety of the next two days. Call it a pre-Christmas diet, but it was not a pleasant experience! Perhaps the worst of it was the knowledge that Anna and I faced an imminent 24 hour bus journey back to Santiago. Fortunately, I rallied just in time to get caught in a storm before the big bus ride. The rain in Argentina is quite similar to the downpours we suffered in Brazil, and within 5 minutes we might as well have been dunked in the swimming pool. Luckily, there was just enough time to change clothes before racing to the bus station and getting comfortable with a glass of unexpected champagne. First class travel!


This past week has been a full of 'lasts'. The last time we would go to Jack's burger bar, where our favourite waiter (nicknamed "Sonrisa") wasn't even there to serve us; the last time we would ride the metro, or walk the familiar route to the metro stop; and the last time we'd enjoy a glass of Chilean pisco or wine in our apartment. My time in Chile has been absolutely invaluable and I wouldn't change a thing about it- I didn't even get robbed! Maybe one day I'll be back to this city which I have called home for these short months. For now, I'll board the plane and hope for a snow-free runway at Heathrow so I can be home for Christmas. Thanks for reading!






La Entusiasta
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment